Over the past weekend, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) “Clean Your Hands Day” took place around the world. As part of the Clean Your Hands Campaign, which began in 2009, Clean Your Hands Day is part of the WHO’s efforts to improve hand hygiene in healthcare. Since healthcare associated infections (HAIs) cause roughly 99,000 deaths annually in the U.S., the push for improved hand hygiene is critical for patient safety—and very closely aligned with Sealed Air and Diversey’s mission of creating a cleaner, healthier future globally.
As part of the fight against HAIs, the WHO recommends that healthcare employees perform hand hygiene with alcohol-based rubs and handwashing with soap and water at five key moments. By outlining the critical times when handwashing is necessary, the WHO aims to reduce the transmission of HAIs. The WHO’s five moments include:
1) Before touching a patient
2) Before clean/aseptic procedures
3) After bodily fluid exposure/risk
4) After touching a patient
5) After touching patient surroundings
As part of our commitment to hand hygiene in healthcare, Sealed Air is a member of WHO’s Private Organizations for Patient Safety (POPS), an online platform dedicated to improving the implementation of WHO recommendations and reducing HAIs. Through POPS, members can collaborate to help improve global patient safety by increasing awareness and providing access to hand hygiene products—even in developing countries.
In addition to our POPS membership, the Institutional and Laundry division of Sealed Air offers healthcare workers the following resources for optimal hand hygiene:
1. Industry leading expertise in the prevention of HAIs, with decades of experience and advanced technology platforms across a number of industry sectors, including healthcare and hospital environments.
2. Comprehensive and innovative portfolio of a great range of hand sanitizers, surface cleaners, floor cleaners, disinfectant wipes, antiseptics and disinfectants, including the award winning Oxivir TM and SoftCare Med handrubs.
3. Dedicated personnel available to support on site and a dedicated website – www.cleanerandhealthier.com – to provide quick, reliable answers to protect our customers, employees and family when an illness begins to spread.
In addition to our current hand hygiene solutions, Sealed Air will continue to help further the WHO’s mission through the constant work of its Institutional and Laundry division on developing effective infection prevention and hygiene solutions. We are committed to creating a better way for life through improved hand hygiene and are proud of the impact our products and solutions have each day.